Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Snorkeling, Lighthouses, Shave Ice, and the Mighty Mo

Yesterday was quite an adventure! Matt, Rachel, and I started early to ensure that we would get to Hanauma Bay in time to find a parking spot for the beast. We did, I drove us there safely despite a broken speedometer, and we saw some amazing things! If this trip has showed Matt and I one thing, it's that we love snorkeling. We've snorkeled at Shark's Cove twice, Waimea twice, and we were so excited to head out to Haunama and see what all the hype's about. It was crowded, but holy cow. There were so many beautiful fish! The water was clear, the fish were swimming, Matt saw a turtle, and we had a great time. Unfortunately our GoPro doesn't do great underwater, but here's the best we could do.











After snorkeling we hiked out to Makapu'u point to see the lighthouse. I love lighthouses. There's just something magical about them, right? It's hard to explain. Just a tip for anyone traveling to Oahu during whale watching season, this hike is right on the edge of a cliff overlooking the ocean and I'm convinced that it's the perfect place to see whales.



Matt's brother Brian and his wife Christine are our go-to people for good food recommendations. They led us to Waiola Shave Ice, a random little place in a residential area of Honolulu. It was perfect! The ice was so soft--way better than some of the North Shore places we've been to. It's probably a good thing that it takes an hour to get there or else I would want to eat there every day.



Last stop was Pearl Harbor to see the Battleship Missouri aka the "Mighty Mo." It was really cool! They have these little iPod tours where you get to watch old war footage and interviews and stuff. The ship is huge. It took us a couple of hours to see everything there was to see, and I'm pretty sure Matt could have spent even more time.






1 comment: