Pages

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Intentions (2018's word for resolutions)

I feel like New Year's Resolutions have been getting a bad rap the last couple of years (e.g. this opinion article on New Year's Resolutions vs. New Year's Realities). But you know what? I love them. I love them for the same reason I love Mondays, new journals, and a freshly cleaned house. It's a chance to reflect, start over, and move forward. With that said, here are my "intentions" for this new year.

Take a deep breath.
I am not as busy as I think I am. Truly. J will be starting pre-k in the fall and our life will become much more scheduled. More children will come, the boys will get older and become more involved with school and extracurricular activities. We will embrace that stage of life when it arrives, but for now my life is as quiet and unhurried as I make it. I got a Leuchtturm 1917 journal for Christmas (you bullet-journalers will understand how exciting this is!) and I am loving my newly organized weekly layouts. I have always been "a throw it in my planner with a million stars and circles so I don't forget it" kind of person. Which has worked fine, but guess what? Writing smaller and more neatly makes me feel so much more in control. Who knew a more organized life would start with my handwriting? I am ready to make room for the things that matter.



Read.
I have always been a book person. And by book person I mean, I like to own books. Between used bookstores, library sales, and my Amazon wishlist, I have amassed quite a collection over the past 10 years. But since I also love to frequent local libraries, and my reading time is limited, the books I actually own often go unread. 2018 is the year to read the books I own. I give each book at least 100 pages to capture me. If I am still dragging through it after 100 pages it gets tossed into the donation box with no regrets. Life is too short! Also, as much as I love a good Dan Brown thriller, do I really need to cart it around with me for the rest of my life? I am only keeping the books that change me and speak to my soul.

Image result for the ability to read awoke inside me some long dormant craving to be mentally alive



Be all in and fully present.
This speaks for itself, really. I am the queen of multi-tasking seven things and only finishing . . . zero things. So. One thing at a time. When it comes to household duties, I want to focus, finish, and move on. For real, I don't need to have Netflix playing in the background to get the dishes done. Being efficient will grant me the space to relish time with my children and husband, fill my cup with good books and music, place a higher priority on spiritual growth, establish meaningful family traditions and rituals, and just be here.

All of you resolution skeptics can continue to roll your eyes, but this kind of stuff is what makes me tick!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, yes and yes 👍🏻 I agree and can relate to all 3 of your resolutions! I hope you know how amazing you are. “Life is as quiet and unhurried as I make it.” I wish I had your wisdom when I was your age 💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be patient with your books. They may sit there for years, but the day will come when you will reach out for them and they will reward you for patiently taking care of them. And, your children may discover a book before you do. I just hate to hear about books going in a recycle bin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the books that I enjoyed but don't feel the need to keep I usually give away to friends. Our ward Facebook page is good for that! My main goal is to make sure that I have read and really know all of the books I have.

      Delete