Pages

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

I am the mother my children need.


The days are long. But we are finding joy. It's much easier to come by when the sun is shining and the temperature is in the mid-60's!

Last week was strange. I was in slow motion and felt "busy" all week but hardly accomplished anything. We did end up having a wonderful Thanksgiving day though! This week we are picking up the pieces, getting out with friends, enjoying the sunshine, raking leaves, and trying to get this house put back together. I am also in the throes of Christmas decorating . . . the fun part has worn off and now I just want to be done so I can stuff the boxes away in the attic and enjoy my twinkle lights in peace!

Also, I had such a tender moment with J yesterday. He is having a hard time being obedient--he sets his little mind to something and just wants to do it so bad! Even if it's a "no-no choice," which it usually is. Yesterday he decided to be sneaky and take our snow globe down off the mantle. Of course in trying to get it down he dropped it and it smashed on the floor. It was wrecked and made such a mess. I got pretty upset; not because he broke it, but because he deliberately disobeyed me and then it broke, just like I knew it would!

I put him in his room, shut the door, and went back downstairs to clean up the mess. His screaming/crying died down pretty quick, so I expected to go back up a few minutes later to find him playing or reading, totally over it. Instead I opened the door to find him sitting in bed with huge tear-filled eyes. He looked at me with the saddest little expression and whispered quietly, "I sorry mama. I said a prayer mama. I said a prayer that I can have a do-over."

Often times after he acts out I get angry, and we both end up having a tantrum (yes, mom tantrums are a thing. I can't be the only one, right?) When things calm down I usually ask him if we can say a prayer together to ask Heavenly Father for help to feel happy again and start over. It made my mama heart soar to see that in the depths of his 3-year-old sadness he turned to prayer for solace and comfort. I lose my temper way too often and never stop feeling guilty about it, but would he have learned this lesson if I were always perfectly calm and patient? This experience gave me hope that I am the mother he needs, despite my endless weaknesses and imperfections.

This phrase has been my mantra since a sweet friend gave me this book for Mother's Day. I highly recommend it for any other imperfect moms out there!

You are the Mother Your Children Need by Christie Gardiner

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes my grandma heart soar! You are definitely the mother that Will and Jomy need. We ALL need to follow his example and say prayers so we can have a “do over” when we mess up! The lessons you’re teaching these sweet boys will be with them forever ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sarah! I love this. We are all in this together! Yes, we all have parent tantrums. Ha ha. Love you.

    ReplyDelete